Difficulty level: Easy
1 x 400g (14 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 x 400g (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
¼ cup raw red lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion finely diced
1 clove of garlic finely diced
2 x carrots, chopped
2 sticks of celery chopped
1 x low salt veg cube (or 1 cup low salt vege stock), dissolved in 1 cup of boiling water
½ teaspoon of honey (leave out for vegan or sub another sweetener)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger (or use fresh)
1/2 cup of water
1. Heat a large casserole dish on medium heat with the olive oil.
2. Cook the onion, garlic, (fresh ginger if using), celery, and carrots for 5-10 minutes or until softened. Add a little stock if the mixture is sticking.
3. Add the spices and cook a couple of minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, lentils, stock, honey, and extra water and cook for 15 minutes or until veges are tender.
5. Add the chickpeas and cook another 10 minutes.
6. Serve with parsley if desired.