Teriyaki Eggplant with Peanuts
Difficulty level: Easy
2 tablespoons of pineapple juice
1 ½ tablespoons of low salt soy sauce
2 tablespoons of water
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
½ clove of garlic finely chopped
Pinch of pepper
1 teaspoon of cornflour
2 spring onions
¼ cup peanuts, raw
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup raw basmati rice
1. For the sauce, add all ingredients to a small pan. Mix well. Bring to a boil and keep stirring. Turn down the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens.
2. Heat a non-stick pan on high heat and add 1 cup of water.
3. Chop the eggplant and season with black pepper and a dash of salt. Add to the pan.
4. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed and you can hear a sizzle.
5. Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
6. Slice the spring onions.
7. Once the eggplant is sizzling, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the white part of the spring onions and the peanuts. Stir continuously.
8. Add the teriyaki sauce, reduce heat to medium. Cook for a few minutes and then serve over rice. Top with the green part of spring onions.