Indian Red Lentil Dal
Difficulty level: Easy
2 cups red lentils (aka masoor dal), well rinsed
8 cups of water
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 onion finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tablespoon of finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 teaspoon of whole mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon of salt
1 x 400g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
2 cups raw basmati rice
Chopped coriander, to taste
1. Add the lentils and water to a large pot. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
2. While the lentils are cooking, heat a medium sized pan on medium heat. Add the oil, onion, garlic, and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the spices and salt and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook for 8 minutes.
4. Add the cooked lentils and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
6. Serve with chopped coriander and rice.