Difficulty level: Easy
Meat of choice (eg chicken, pork, beef, lamb)
Vegetables of choice (eg potatoes, kumara (sweet potatoes), carrots, cabbage, pumpkin
Tips to make your Hangi healthier.
1. Trim the fat and skin off the meat (this will have a big effect on reducing the saturated fat, which is responsible for increasing your risk of heart attack and stroke)
2. Leave the skins on the vegetables (more fibre)
3. Try not to add too much salt (if you add any at all).
4. Add garlic and herbs (rosemary would be good) to flavour the veggies.
5. Make sure your plate is ¾ full of vegetables.
Note: Hangi can be super healthy as the meat and veges are cooked/steamed in the ground. With no added fat, you can enjoy hangi and especially all those delicious vegetables!
If you add stuffing, try and find a recipe that does not use butter! Or swap the butter for a plant-based spread (like Olivani) – this has a lower saturated fat content – which is better for your heart.